Monday, February 22, 2010

Infected Mushroom - Legend of the Black Shawarma (2009)

(Psychedelic Rock, Psychedelic Trance, Trip Hop)

A good friend of mine introduced me to Infected Mushroom yesterday, and I've given their latest album a few listens to come to a conclusion of whether I like them or not. For now, I give this album a solid 6.5/10 simply because, although it is rather enjoyable, it doesn't sound altogether fresh to me. Despite not sounding as fresh as I may have wanted, though, it falls under a "genre" title I've yet to encounter before (and I've encountered a few): psychedelic trance/rock. So! If you find that genre appealing to your sensibilities, go for it. It won't disappoint, or rather, it shouldn't. And if you've never heard of the genre or thought to combine the two, psychedelic and trance, genres together, I've posted my favorite song on the album below. Ultimately, I'd say they sound like a tranced up Depeche Mode, though, and not so much psychedelic, but more... trip-hoppy. In one song they do feature Jonathan Davis (Korn) on vocals, which interestingly doesn't sound too far off from the actual singers voice, but I'm sure any avid Korn fan out there would in some way or another geek out to his cameo.

The song I've chosen (below), is a good example of the merging genres. There's a great trance buildup near the middle of the song in which I love, and should definitely get those fists pumping.

(Another song very worth mentioning from this album is the great remix of the song Riders on the Storm, orginally by the Doors)


No comments:

Post a Comment