Monday, February 22, 2010

Music Video: Caribou - Odessa

(Dream Pop, Electronica, Indie Electronic, Noise Pop)

You know what I think? I think a great way to introduce new music to you readers out there is by way of music videos. I personally believe the age of the MTV music video has ended quite some time ago, and there isn't much ingenuity when it comes to newer videos, but at the same time, the videos often add another whole dimension to the sounds given off and add to the overall double-sensory effect, which there is no fault in. I saw a new music video today from the musician Caribou that I thought would be nice to share with you all. The song is 'Odessa,' from his forth-coming album, Swim.

This video follows a young, bloodied-up, girl as she appears to be fleeing through the wilderness, and we are shown a collage of what are to be inferred as memories. I find this "collage" of animal-life, roads, cold winter wilderness, memories, and other to be extremely well done. And I don't want to say that it follows the rhythm of the song fully, but it surely flows well enough. The electronic sounds and bleeps in the background (and I have no idea how he made them) help produce a certain eerie quality to the whole thing, and that's probably the strong-point of this particular song, and they slide well into the actually video, creating an interesting 5-minutes. And no, i do not know what that thing is at 00:15 or so, but it looks to me like a penis.

I was first introduced to Caribou in 2007, after he released Andorra, which by the way is an excellent album. He, Daniel Victor Snaith (Caribou), used to go under the stage-name 'Manitoba.' Apparently, he decided to change his name to Caribou during an acid trip he had in which a caribou told him to change his name to such... And he did.

The full album on which 'Odessa' will be released on, Swim, hits the shelves on April 19-20.

No comments:

Post a Comment