Friday, February 26, 2010

Phantogram - Eyelid Movies (2010)

(Electronic Rock, Psychedelic Pop, Indie Pop)

This album took me by surprise.   I was still recovering from how good Pantha du Prince's Black Noise was, when this crept into my ears, ever so jumpily.  Phantogram's debut album is an instant classic psych pop record.  Reminiscent of MGMT's phenomenal debut, Oracular Spectacular, Eyelid Movies truly lives up to the genre's finest.  They're self proclaimed "street beat, psych pop" genre fits their sound ever so sweetly, with heavy synth-padding and dance-inspiring beats.  The first time I listened to their Running from the Cops single, a few weeks back, I told myself these guys really had something going for them, and the enormity of this record shows their overall skill as musicians, and deserve a warm welcoming into our hearts.  The eighth track on the album, Bloody Palms, is just indescribably awesome.  There is no way you can play that song in the car without turning the stereo up after hearing that rhythm.  This album truly is a sonic opus, and I loved every minute of it's eccentricity.  8.9/10

Take a listen to Bloody Palms:
Bloody Palms - Phantogram

Buy CD: Eyelid Movies Buy Vinyl: Eyelid Movies (For those bold souls switching back to record players)

No comments:

Post a Comment