Sunday, February 21, 2010

Joanna Newsom - Have One on Me


(Avant-Garde, Folk, Pop)

The amazing (and strikingly pretty) Joanna Newsom's third album, Have One on Me (out on February 23rd), has sadly leaked onto the internet. I say "sadly" because it's a shame that stuff like this happens, and people are allowed to fully download an album for free before it's even possible to buy it. But, I can't say that I didn't hold myself back from downloading it either, because I truly haven't been able to wait to hear what this baby would sound like. And trust me, you. It is absolute genius. I will be first in line when it comes to stores next week. Here is the link in flac, while it's still up (BUT BE SURE TO BUY THE ALBUM): http://lix.in/-733c0e

Anywho, let me explain a few things about this album. For one, it is a triple album... Yes, a TRIPLE album! This thing is 3 discs of absolute sonic bliss, taking you on an adventure you'll likely not go on very often in your lifetime. She has a style of singing that, known to me, is absolutely one of a kind, and from a world of her own. Where other singers would find the undulating style of her vocals awkward at the least, she uses it with pride and makes it her own, pulling you into her trance. She accompanies her voice with her trusty, beautiful, hypnotizing harp playing. Close your eyes for only a split second and you'll be floating through a timeless sonic valley of history and culture. Each disc is just as inviting as the last, and I find that I enjoy each one equally. So, the best way to listen to this avant-garde masterpiece is straight through. Each disc has 6 songs, adding to a total of 18 songs throughout, and spanning just over two hours of gloriously timeless music. Usually I'll find one or two or three songs in an album that I'll replay over and over, because they stand out, but in this album EVERYTHING STANDS OUT. Have One on Me is a definite buy. 9.2/10

(Also, on a side note: Joanna Newsom has been dating Andy Samberg of SNL and Lonely Island fame since sometime in 2007, which is such an odd coupling that it's awesome. That is all.)

No comments:

Post a Comment