Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Music Video: Kanye West - Coldest Winter


(Pop, Electronica, R&B, Synthpop)


Now... I was really disappointed by Kanye's latest album, 808s & Heartbreak, because it was a complete departure from his previous works. And lately, I for one have little respect for the guy, as a person. I feel that, beyond his musical "genius," the guy is a total idiot. But in retrospect, I see now that this departure he made from his previous hip-hop albums turned out to be... well it turned out to be a success. Despite all the annoying digitizing of his voice, due to auto-tune effects, and the absence of his rapping abilities, the album was actually very consistent. And looking back, I almost regret my immediate shrug-off of this 2008 record, because it did have it's strong points and jems. For one, this song, Coldest Winter, was probably the best on the record.

Well, Kanye's finally created his music video for the song, directed by Nabil Elderkin. Wow. This thing is scary cool. I don't care what anyone says about him. He's actually not even in this video (not surprising, of late). In the video however, is a rather large-chested woman running in slow motion, and the effect is... nice. Lol. But besides that, the rest of the video is really awesome. Just imagine dementors from Harry Potter fuse with the Organization 13 members of the video game Kingdom Hearts series, and chase a hot girl Sleepy Hollow style into Dante's Inferno. And sure, what does this have to do with the video, you may ask? No clue. I don't think it has much to do with it. But at the same time, the synchronicity and mood of the music to the video really draws you in. The song is a little tweaked from the album version, which is partly good because it sounds a little fresher. And why did I like the Coldest Winter best on 808s & Heartbreaks? Because, my dear Watson, his voice wasn't droned out with the auto-tune (as much) on this track. I hate auto-tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment